Now that I’m a maternity photographer in Miami I thought it would be a good time to cover what to wear for those beach maternity photos everyone wants! And can I say I do not blame y’all one bit, if I lived in South Florida when I was pregnant with my kids I’d have done a beach maternity session for each one!
So today let’s chat about styles, colors, when to schedule your session and tips on things to bring!
What should I wear for maternity beach pictures?
I’m always going to recommend a long flowy dress in a soft pastel or neutral color for beach maternity photos. If we were doing the session at another location you might get a different suggestion from me but for beach photos long and flowy is where it’s at!
I love seeing the wind pick up a bit and give the dress a little kick creating gorgeous movement in your photos. The soft draping of the fabric is always elegant and such a beautiful accent to your baby bump. Plus if you are like most pregnant women a long maxi style dress can help hide that 3rd trimester swelling in the ankles. It’s just a win-win!
Why wear pastel or neutral colors?
Softer colors allow you and your belly to be the focus and not your dress. Plus when it comes to beach maternity photos your backdrop is typically light colored sand and blue green waters, these soft colors paired with a pastel dress will make your photos look almost like a watercolor painting. If you were to wear a black dress the first thing people would see would be the dress and then they’d register your face and belly. With the neutral tones your face will be the first thing to pop out at them followed by the belly.
I recommend pink, blush, teal, light blue, white or cream as your color choice. Typically I recommend going with a solid color also just to keep the focus off the outfit and instead on you. Occasionally I have clients who break that rule but still keep the pattern simple and soft so it doesn’t compete with their pretty faces!
What should my husband wear for maternity pics?
Again you want to keep his outfit neutral as well. Khakis, jeans or shorts in pastel or neutral colors. Pair that with a polo or button down in a soft solid tone and you are all set. For example khaki shorts and a white button down are great for the beach especially if your husband had dark hair. If he’s a blond then go for a blue or even pink button down and khaki shorts. I love seeing girl dads rock the pink for beach maternity photos!
What week is best for maternity photos?
I recommend anywhere from 28-32 weeks which puts you around 7-8 months pregnant. This gives you the best baby bump size while you are still comfortable. Many of my clients find that at 36 weeks and above they are just too uncomfortable to want to take beach maternity photos.
You’ll want to book with your photographer at least 6-8 weeks before then to be sure to get a good spot on their calendar. Many of my clients book me for their maternity and newborn photos at the mid point of their pregnancy, typically around 20 weeks.
How do you prepare for a maternity photoshoot?
- Book your maternity photographer in Miami around your 20th week of pregnancy to ensure they aren’t booked up already.
- Order your dress around 26 weeks so you can be sure it will be ready in time. Keep in mind that if you are growing a big baby you might need to size up to be sure the dress will fit at 30 weeks.
- Aim for 30 weeks to take your beach maternity photos. This gives you rescheduling room in case of weather.
- Let your photographer know if there is a particular beach you want to shoot at or any special shots you want to get.
- Treat yourself with a mani/pedi the day before so it’s fresh for photos.
- Consider pampering yourself with professional hair and makeup so don’t have to worry.
- Keep up on your fluids and get as much rest as you can the night before. (I totally realize sleep and the 3rd trimester do not go together, not to mention pregnant ladies and water. Just don’t party hard the night before lol!)
- Relax and let your Miami maternity photographer do all the work! That would be me ;)!
- Enjoy a date night after your session since you are all dressed up! Check out my Top 10 Date Night Ideas in Miami Before Baby Arrives post to get some ideas on what to do!
What should I bring to my beach maternity photos?
While not necessary here are a few things you can bring to your session for those just in case moments!
- Ultrasound photo
- Hairbrush and hairspray for last minute touchups and fixing flyaways
- Blotting cloths or tissue to dab any extra perspiration
- Double sided fashion tape if you have a dress that needs extra encouragement to stay put
What to Wear for Beach Maternity Photos | Maternity Photographer Miami
Melissa Arlena is an award winning South Florida newborn photographer. She offers maternity, lifestyle newborn, and family photography in her relaxed, natural, and joyful style. Her clients love that not only do they get digital files from their session but artwork to display in their home. She is happy to design custom wall art galleries to show off your favorite photos!
Melissa serves Broward, Palm Beach and Miami Dade counties including: Boca Raton | Cooper City | Coral Gables | Key Biscayne | Miami Shores | Palm Beach | Palmetto Bay | Parkland | Pinecrest | Southwest Ranches | Weston